1948 Higgs & Johnson’s founders Hon. Godfrey W. Higgs, CBE and friend, Mr. Mervyn Johnson – a former Registrar General of The Bahamas – establish a legal partnership. In addition to a long and distinguished career in law and politics, Mr. Higgs holds a place in history for leading the successful defence of Count Alfred de Marigny, tried and acquitted in 1943 for the murder of Canadian gold baron Sir Harry Oakes.
1950 Messrs. Higgs and Johnson are joined by Mr. Geoffrey Johnstone (later Sir Geoffrey).
1968 Mr. Johnstone becomes Senior Partner of Higgs & Johnson.
1990 Higgs & Johnson becomes a founding member of TerraLex (a leading worldwide network of independent law firms).
1999 Mr. Philip C. Dunkley (now a distinguished King’s Counsel (KC)) becomes Senior Partner of Higgs & Johnson; the firm re-opens its second office at Freeport, Grand Bahama.
2001 Higgs & Johnson opens its third office at Lyford Cay, an internationally renowned exclusive residential community and financial district at the western end of New Providence.
2006 Higgs & Johnson relocates its main offices to Ocean Centre, a state-of-the art business facility at Montagu Foreshore on East Bay Street.
2007 Higgs & Johnson opens its fourth office at Marsh Harbour, Abaco.
2008 Higgs & Johnson celebrates 60 years of continuous practice under the same name.
2009 Higgs & Johnson was pleased to operate an office in the Cayman Islands from January 2009 until June 2020.
2016 Higgs & Johnson relocates its Lyford Cay office to Lyford Crescent which was a natural response to the growth of the business of the firm in the Lyford area since 2001