Areas of Practice
Ms. Surinder Deal has over 31 years of experience in Corporate and Commercial Law, Banking and Finance Law, Real Estate Law, and Trust Law and having acted:
- for clients from small privately held companies to multinational companies in diverse industries such as hospitality, manufacturing, banking and finance, real property development and gaming, in a full range of general corporate and securities matters, including mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, debt and equity financing, business formation and structuring, joint ventures, public securities offerings and general corporate governance;
- in real property purchase and sale, joint ventures, leasing and finance transactions involving real estate secured loans, where she has acted for both borrowers and lenders; ;
- in applications for licenses of banks and trust companies and advising on regulatory issues;
- in the registration of vessels on The Bahamas flag and finance transactions involving security over vessels;
- in the establishment of trusts, amendments to trust, appointment and removal of trustees and ancillary matters.
- Acted as legal advisor for the statutory body mandated with oversight of the principal airport in the country (including dealing with amendments with the relevant statute) in connection with financing of the expansion of airport;
- Acted as legal advisor to a US based pharmaceutical company in the formation of a Bahamian company and in its acquisition of a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, including related financing;
- Acted as legal advisor to an international oil and gas company in connection with the sale of its oil refinery and storage tanks;
- Acted as legal advisor to an international oil and gas company in the sale of the shares of its Bahamian subsidiary, which was a national petroleum products wholesaler and retailer;
- Acted as legal advisor to a Bahamas-based brewing, beverage distribution and retailing company with a highly recognizable portfolio of beverage in connection with its IPO;
- Acted as legal advisor to two multinational banks in connection with the sale and purchase of the business and assets of one of the banks to the other;
- Acted as legal advisor to a multinational bank in connection with the sale of its consumer loan portfolio;
- Acted as legal advisor a Brazilian bank in connection with the establishment of a branch in The Bahamas;
- Acted as legal advisor to a buyer of all of the issued shares of a utility company and in the subsequent sale thereof, including related financing;
- Acted for lender in the realization of security involving the sale of a group of companies involved in retail grocery business;
- Acted in the privatization of a Government owned utility;
- Acted in the privatization of a commercial port;
- Acted as legal advisor to internationally renown hospitality brands in connection with their franchising agreements in respect of local hotels;
- Acted as legal advisor to an international hospitality company in connection with its real estate development project in The Bahamas including its gaming licence;
- Acted as legal advisor to a lender in connection with credit facilities secured by encumbrances over vessels and other assets of the borrower and other companies in the group.
Surinder joined Higgs & Johnson in 1986 as a Registered Associate and became a Partner in 1992. She was called to the Bahamas Bar in 1995, when she became a citizen of The Bahamas. She is a member of the Bahamas Bar Association and of the International Bar Association. She is also a member of STEP. Surinder has been consecutively named as a Leading Lawyer by IFLR1000 (2011 – 2017) and by Chambers Global (2015-2017).
Surinder earned an LL.B. (Hons) degree from the University of Buckingham, England in 1983, and was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales in 1984. The following year, she was called to the Bar in her native Malaysia, after completing her pupillage at the chambers of Kumar & Co. She is fluent in English and has conversational Bahasa Malaysia.
Higgs & Johnson is a member of TerraLex (a worldwide network of independent law firms). Surinder is currently an Emeritus Director of TerraLex, having been a director for 10 years and regional co-chair, of the Central American and Caribbean Region for 9 years. She received the TerraLex ‘Lawyer of the Year’ award in 2014.