Areas of Practice
Ms. Surinder Deal has over 25 years of experience in Real Estate, Trust Law and Corporate and Commercial Law, having acted in:
• all aspects of real estate transactions;
• establishment of trusts, amendments to trust, appointment and removal of trustees and ancillary matters;
• registration of and securitization involving vessels;
• securities (including acting in the IPO (which in 2011, was the largest equity offering in The Bahamas to that date) of a Bahamas-based brewing, beverage distribution and retailing company with a highly recognizable portfolio of beverage) and private placements of offshore securities in The Bahamas;
• large scale structured finance transactions such as financing in connection with the expansion of the principal airport in the country (including dealing with amendments with the relevant statute);
• sales and acquisitions of substantial assets in The Bahamas such as the sale of the consumer loan portfolio by a Bahamian licensed bank, sale of a licensed Bahamian bank (being a part of the sale of a group of companies), sale of a national wholesale and retail fuel and fuel products business, acquisition of and subsequent sale of a utility company, the privatization of a Government owned utility, the privatization of a commercial port, the sale of a group of companies involved in retail grocery business;
• corporate restructurings, joint ventures, mergers and continuations.
Surinder joined Higgs & Johnson in 1986 as a Registered Associate and became a Partner in 1992. She was called to the Bahamas Bar in 1995, when she became a citizen of The Bahamas. She is a member of the Bahamas Bar Association and of the International Bar Association. She is also a member of STEP. Surinder has been consecutively named as a Leading Lawyer by IFLR1000 (2011 – 2017) and by Chambers Global (2015-2017).
Surinder earned an LL.B. (Hons) degree from the University of Buckingham, England in 1983, and was admitted to the Bar of England and Wales in 1984. The following year, she was called to the Bar in her native Malaysia, working there for one year as an Associate at the chambers of Kumar & Co. She is fluent in Bahasa Malaysia and English.
Higgs & Johnson is a member of TerraLex (a worldwide network of independent law firms) and Surinder is a director and regional co-chair of the Central American and Caribbean Region. She received the TerraLex ‘Lawyer of the Year’ award in 2014.