Areas of Practice
Portia J. Nicholson is an attorney with over 25 years of experience in the areas of Corporate and Commercial law. She has acted as lead counsel to or been involved in many domestic commercial projects and cross border commercial transactions including:
• the development of a commercial container port as a joint venture between the government of The Bahamas and a consortium of shipping industry concerns; and the subsequent initial public offering in respect of same;
• a joint venture between the country’s largest brewery and a major international enterprise; the subsequent acquisition of the brewery by the international partner and an initial public offering of shares to the Bahamian public;
• a joint venture between international ship agents and a local partner;
• providing advice in respect of fast food franchising agreements;
• the acquisition and development of resort hotel properties in several Islands of The Bahamas including New Providence, Abaco, Eleuthera and Bimini;
• the lease of a significant resort property in the Island of Grand Bahama;
• providing corporate, regulatory and tax advice to numerous corporate clients including Bahamian financial institutions and commercial enterprises and international corporations;
• acted as local counsel to international banks in relation to financing transactions with the Government of The Bahamas;
• acted as special counsel in respect of numerous cross border financing transactions and corporate restructure projects.
Portia has been a partner of the Firm since 2012. Prior to joining the Firm she was Director, Portfolio Management at the National Investment Bank of Jamaica (now the National Development Bank) , where she had previously served in the capacities of Legal Officer and Coordinator of the Jamaican Government’s Employee Share Ownership Programme.
Portia earned an LL.B. from the University of the West Indies and a Legal Education Certificate from the Norman Manley Law School. She obtained an MBA from Nova Southeastern University. Portia’s continuing executive training has included Harvard Business School’s Focused Financial Management Series and courses in Investment Management at the Jamaica Institute of Bankers. She is a member of the Jamaica Bar Association and an Advanced Toastmaster, silver category. She is a former adjunct lecturer at University College of the Caribbean and a past president of Nova Southeastern University Alumni Association. She was also a director of the Association of Women’s Organisations of Jamaica and chaired its legal team.